Enzaldo Family Journal: Archiving the everyday moments, milestones, and memories of our family life.
Sunday, October 30, 2011
Catherine Grace - 9 weeks
Some highlights, milestones, and memories from the first 8 weeks.... Since it seems that I had truly forgotten our experience with Claire as a newborn, the transition adding Catherine to our daily life was... well... fairly rough. Here, I will attempt to record som eof the difficulties (and joys) we had so that if, God willing, another baby comes, I can recall these trials as to be expected.
Postpartum transitionPerhaps due to hormones but more likely due to fatigue, I experienced intense emotional upheaval. My emotions were very up and down for at least 4 weeks. I also experienced some pretty intense anxiety - anxiety about Catherine's sleep patterns, how to properly care for her, doubting myself, etc. One distinct memory was sitting at lunch with Claire and crying straight through it. Poor Claire didn't know what to do---- she just kept eating her sandwich and definitely finished her plate knowing it would please me. I was sooo blessed to have help from my mom - coming over to keep company, taking Claire off my hands, and even taking night feedings (pumped breastmilk from a bottle) on a few nights so that I could catch up on my sleep. I did notice that after I was able to get a good night's sleep (thanks to her and Bobby's help), my emotions and anxiety seemed to reduce.
BreastfeedingWith both Claire and Catherine, I was blessed with ample milk supply, fast let down, and efficient eaters. However, the transition to breastfeeding was neither easy nor smooth. I definitely had forgotten the trials of nursing a sleepy newborn. A few things I hope to keep in mind next time...
- expect very sore nipples for at least 2 weeks (especially on the left side)
- definintely worth it to return to breastfeeding clinic to check / correct the latch
- Catherine rarely ate on both sides, but we measured she was receiving over 3 ounces even as young as 10 days old
- At this time (10 weeks) I am glad that I spent the time and hassle pumping during the engorgement phase so that I could build a nice supply of milk in the freezer.
- I did get a mild case of Mastitis on the left side at about 9-10 days. It was most recognized by fever and chills (even though it was a hot August night). I went on the antibiotic (coupled with yogurt for probiotic reasons) and that seemed to nip it in the bud
Sleeping
As I mentioned above, I experienced a lot of anxiety about Catherine's sleep habits and schedule, etc. I remember stressing over this with Claire as well, but not until an older age. I used Babywise book and blog as well as The BabyWhisperer books. Often, reading these resources would give me great ideas about strategies to try with the baby, but I would often come away feeling defeated, depressed, and as if the baby wasn't holding up to her ideal. A few milestones to keep in place:
- Catherine slept in the swing everynight and most naps for at least 3-4 weeks.
- I started trying to put her to sleep in the bassinet for some naps at about 2 weeks. She would usually fall asleep without crying as long as she had the pacifier
- At this point (10 weeks) we have still not let her "cry it out" with any length
- We transitioned her to sleeping at night in the crib (not our room) at about 4 weeks. She has done well with that transition and is currently (10 weeks) sleeping in her crib for all night sleep. I use the swing (in her room) when she wakes up "early" from a nap (see below) or if I don't have time to rock her when I'm not sure if she's sleepy, etc.
- After about 5-7 days, she began 45 minute naps and continues to have 45 minute naps most of the time (we are at 10 weeks now). If seh wakes up early from a nap, I either put her in the swing to finish the nap until the 3 hour mark for the next feed, or split the difference and keep her up , feed at 2.5 hours, and adjust the "schedule" accordingly.
- Catherine woke up consistently every 3 hours at night through about 8 weeks. (DF at 10, MTTN feed at 1 and 4am) At about 8 weeks I began to notice that if she was awake in the late evening (8-10pm) she seemed to sleep longer. At this point (10 weeks), if we keep her up from 8-10ish, she will sleep about 6 hours and feed at 4 am or 5am. She goes back to sleep until about 8.
Milestones- smile - a few smiles at 5 weeks, much more purposeful at 7
- coos - about 8 weeks
- 2 mo appt - weight - 12.12oz ; 93%
Next time.....- consider posting "no visitors" for mom and baby for about 10 days?
- ask for help with night feedings, start bottles at 2 weeks and keep habit going
- ?
Labels:
Catherine

