Friday, June 14, 2013

Swimming in lessons.... for mom

Claire's first try at "Swimming School" was a learning experience for both of us. I signed up for lessons wanting to fill our summer days with a fun activity that would get us out of the house.  I had no illusions of her learning to swim across the pool during the two weeks, but I was hoping to plant some seeds about what swimming is (sport, exercise, fun, confidence) and what it isn't (pouring water from cup to cup in the baby pool).

The first three days of lessons, Claire was a royal mess. She threw a huge tantrum, refused to get in the water, ran away from the teacher and class. Admittedly, the sessions started off on a 'scary foot" when during the first 5 minutes of the first lesson, Miss Erin requested everyone to plug their noses and go under water. Well, Claire wanted none of that. From that poor foot, the next three days included me getting a sitter (Nana) for Catherine and myself sitting in the pool with the other 4 year olds while Claire made her fear (and anger) known to the entire pool.

I offered bribes, promises, games, chants, tricks, and ploys. After watching synchronized swimming (Water ballet) and Little Mermaid clips, making Miss Erin a "glittery" card, bribes of candy, games, activities, and outings... all to no avail, I made a realization that would prove helpful both in the pool and out.  Claire, your  participation in this activity is really only under your control. Nothing I could do would force you to let go, relax, and have fun in the water with the other kids (actually swimming was the least of my concerns at this point!)  When I assured you that it was "her choice" to participate, you seemed to really come around.

By the end of the two week session, Claire was "so sad" that swimming lessons were over. She had a great "report" from her teacher and most importantly, mom was re-reminded of an invaluable lesson. I cannot control my children. The best I can do I provide opportunities and set a good example. In the end, the most effective lessons will come only when they, on their own terms, are ready to dive in!

Goggles made the whole thing more fun


Finally happy with Miss Erin !

 "But, a little bit closer for me, ok?"