Well, I joked about it, but it came true. Claire, you literally learned to read before you learned to use the toilet correctly. Perhaps this is evidence of great literary genius ; perhaps evidence of great common sense. After all, diapers are convenient, and illiteracy is not convenient, right?
Regardless, once your mother was able to relinquish all control of the matter to you, put you in underwear and hope for the best, you did indeed learn this life skill. A few days at home naked did just the trick!
What I will remember most about potty training my first child is not the mess (although that was there) but your insistence on doing it your way. Still, almost a month later, you have never gone on my suggestion, only on your own terms. Whether this is evidence of a stubborn personality, a smart girl trying to avoid responsibility as long as possible, or amazing self mastery, I know not.


